Carbon has amazed us once again !
These are notes taken down during Prof Sivram’s lecture @ IIA, on 2010 Nobel prize in physics 12th Oct, Google for the more info, this may not be correct altogether, since I have a amateurish knowledge of physics, particle physics almost from a layman’s perspective.
Click-able links for the press release of 2010 Nobel prize & 2010 Nobel prize in Physics are below :
Congratulations to Andre Geim, Konstantin Novoselov for winning the Nobel prize. The obtained or produced Graphene in lab.
- Suggested by Canadian theoretically 60 years back
- Graphene – excellent conductor – can be used as substitution for silicon
- Carbon based electronic circuits, May be realized as a high performance transistor capable of operating more than 100 times the current ones.
- Consists of single layer of carbon atoms, this was the most basic or simplest arrangement - form of carbon, but was discovered last. Since it is a layer of carbon items one slice think only, hence essentially 2 dimensional material
- Graphane is polymer of carbon & hydrogen i.e hydrogenation of Graphene produces Graphane
- Graphane is stronger than steel , can be best described by phrase – exceptional combination of extreme properties
- Finds applications in LCD’s, Solar cells.
These laboratory experiments of obtaining or producing Graphene etc help in analyzing the aspects related to concepts such as Zitterbewegung, Klein paradox, Quantum Hall effect, Anyon etc
PS : I will enrich the post when time permits